A terrific smile is a gateway to a great first impression. There are more options than ever for improving our smile in our dentist’s chair. Of course, excellent oral health is your family dentist’s top priority. But we understand that our patients want healthy and beautiful teeth. Discolored, flawed or chipped teeth can make us self-conscious and lower self-esteem. Cosmetic dentistry is a meaningful option for patients from teens to older adults. And the good news is you don’t need to see a specialist for most of your cosmetic needs. Your family dentist can take care of a wide range of cosmetic procedures.
Why Choose Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry refers to dental services designed to improve your appearance. But it isn’t always about looks. Some cosmetic procedures can also enhance our bite and overall oral health. Your smile is often one of the first things people notice when they meet you. A study conducted for Invisalign showed that teeth are a “standout” feature when we meet someone for the first time. Survey respondents indicated that straight teeth are associated with success and intelligence. Fixing cosmetic problems, including crooked or stained teeth, can boost confidence and even improve mental health. A bright, white, even smile gives us confidence in everything from job interviews to first dates. And while dental insurance doesn’t always cover cosmetic procedures, you can use Care Credit and Health Savings Accounts for many cosmetic procedures. Fall is an ideal time to check with your dentist about cosmetic procedures if you have HSA funds to spend before the end of the calendar year.
Which Cosmetic Dentistry Options Can Improve My Smile?
Whether your concern is the shape of your teeth, alignment, or discoloration, there’s a range of terrific cosmetic dentistry options that can help you achieve the smile of your dreams. Here’s a look at some of the most popular choices:
- Veneers are thin ceramic shells applied to multiple teeth. These custom-made coverings can take care of stains, chips, cracks and gaps all at once. So they’re an excellent choice if you want to improve your smile on several levels. Veneers can even change the shape and overall appearance of your teeth. They’re one of the quickest and most effective ways to transform your smile.
- Dental bonding is similar to veneers but uses a tooth-colored resin instead of customized pre-made shells to cover misshapen or discolored teeth. Bonding is usually less expensive than veneers and is an excellent option if the cosmetic issues you’re looking to address are less severe or only affect a few teeth.
- Porcelain crowns are a terrific option if you have a broken tooth or unsightly filling. We can place a crown on the affected area, so it looks just like your natural tooth.
- Zoom teeth whitening is a gentle yet effective in-office treatment that can whiten your teeth up to eight shades in just one visit. The Philips Zoom whitening program reverses stains from food and drink and aging and even some discoloration from medication. The in-office program uses a combination of advanced whitening gel and blue LED light to speed up results and boost effectiveness. We’ll also send you home with customized whitening trays for long-lasting results.
- Invisalign is a revolutionary program that allows your family dentist to straighten your teeth with a series of custom-designed clear aligners. The Invisalign aligners are essentially invisible, and you take them out while eating. There are no obtrusive braces and no orthodontist visits required. Invisalign is an excellent option for adults and teens who want straighter teeth and a new look.
Do I Need To See A Special Dentist for Cosmetic Procedures?
While some dentists specialize in cosmetic dentistry, their educational credentials are the same as general dentists. Many family dentists are now performing cosmetic procedures with advanced tools and techniques. With training and continuing education, your family dentist can perform a full range of cosmetic procedures, from whitening to veneers. At Greenhill Family Dental Care, we believe that healthy teeth are beautiful teeth. Excellent oral health and a dazzling smile go hand in hand. But some clients may want or need a little more when it comes to cosmetic care to keep them looking and feeling good. Our skilled and savvy family dentists aren’t just doing checkups and fillings–we’re serving our clients on every level for a beautiful smile.