When we think about crooked teeth, we often think of kids. Young children may have uneven smiles as baby teeth fall out and permanent teeth come in. We generally associate orthodontic care with the teen years. However, our teeth don’t stop moving as we age. Adults may experience crowding and other problems related to shifting smiles. Sometimes adults need a little help too. Fortunately, with the advent of clear aligners, improving your smile as an adult is more convenient than ever.
Do Our Teeth Ever Stop Shifting?
Our teeth continue to shift throughout our lives. Chewing, grinding, and wear and tear can cause them to change shape as we age. As we age, our jawbones lose density and get smaller. A shrinking and sloping jawbone can lead to tooth crowding, especially in the lower jaw.
What Contributes to Crooked Teeth As We Age?
Our teeth have kept us nourished and smiling over the decades. But they also take a lot of wear and tear. Some of the factors that can cause our teeth to shift include:
- Grinding puts pressure on the teeth and jaw and wears down your teeth.
- Poor dental hygiene and tooth loss: if you lose a tooth, it causes the remaining teeth to shift.
- Gum disease can damage your jawbone and cause tooth loss, which can cause teeth to shift.
How Can I Get My Smile Back As An Adult?
As family dentists with lots of cosmetic experience, we often hear that adults are unhappy with their smiles. Perhaps you didn’t get needed orthodontic treatment as a child, or your teeth have shifted as you age. Many adults are under the misconception that it’s too late to correct their bite and improve their smile. There are better options than ever for adults who want straighter teeth without traditional braces. More and more adults are achieving excellent results with Invisalign clear aligners. More than 6 million people, primarily adults, have improved their smiles and boosted their confidence with Invisalign.
Invisalign uses clear removable aligners to straighten your teeth gradually. They’re made from a patented thermoplastic material, and you get a new set every week or two as your smile slowly shifts into the right place. The best part is that with training, your family dentist can help you achieve the smile of your dreams with Invisalign, so you don’t need to see a separate orthodontist. After an initial consultation to discuss your concerns and goals, your dentist uses a special scanner and software to plan each adjustment. Then she creates custom aligners to shift your teeth into place, with a new set every one or two weeks.
What Are The Advantages of Invisalign for Adults?
Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign aligners are designed to fit your lifestyle. Some of the reasons our adult patients love Invisalign include:
- They’re invisible with no unsightly metal wires that can irritate your mouth.
- You can take them out to eat. Patients need to wear them 22 hours daily, so there’s plenty of time for meals.
- Clear aligners often do the job faster than braces.
- With special training, your family dentist can improve your smile with Invisalign. No trips to the orthodontist are required.
- Many insurance policies cover Invisalign. You can also use tax-free funds from your Health Savings Account or work out an affordable monthly payment plan.
Regaining Your Smile: Talk With Your Dentist About Invisalign
If you don’t like how your teeth have shifted with age, there’s an effective and convenient solution. Invisalign clear aligners have helped millions of adults improve their smiles and self-confidence. At Greenhill Family Dental Care, our Invisalign-trained dentists can help you reset and regain your smile, even as the aging process takes a toll. Schedule a consultation to talk about your concerns and goals. It’s never too late to achieve the smile of your dreams.