You may have heard about the latest trend in cosmetic dentistry: a smile makeover. Patients increasingly want a dramatic transformation instead of a single cosmetic treatment. Your dentist can combine several cosmetic options to help you achieve the smile of your dreams. For example, we often combine whitening with other cosmetic options to change your teeth’s shape, length or alignment. If a smile makeover is on your list, your family dentist is an excellent place to start.
Who Needs a Smile Makeover?
Are you unhappy with or embarrassed by your smile? Are your teeth healthy but missing the brightness and overall look you dream of? A smile makeover may be right for you. Patients seek out a smile makeover for the following reasons:
You have damaged or missing teeth.
You’re unsatisfied with the length or proportion of your teeth…or even with just one tooth that makes you less than happy with your smile.
You have crooked teeth or issues with spacing and alignment.
You have severe stains or discoloration from tobacco use, food and drink, medications or other factors.
What Treatments Should I Consider for a Smile Makeover?
There are so many ways we can approach your smile makeover. We will discuss your goals, budget and timeline and create a customized plan. Some of the most popular treatments include:
- Teeth whitening is the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedure. In-office whitening is your best bet for achieving dramatic results right away. In-office treatments use concentrated peroxide to give you a bright, white smile. Your dentist can safely use stronger and more effective bleaching agents than at-home kits. She can also send you home with customized whitening trays that can help you maintain that bright white smile.
- Veneers are uniquely focused on changing your teeth’s overall appearance and can work magic. They’re ideal for patients with severe discoloration, worn or broken teeth, small or short teeth or gaps between teeth. Veneers cover your teeth with a thin layer of porcelain or composite material and can change size, shape and color.
- Bonding is a cost-effective cosmetic approach when one or two teeth are cracked, chipped, misshapen or out of proportion. It allows you to repair damaged teeth with a tooth-colored resin to restore your smile with a natural look.
- The Invisalign system has brought orthodontics treatment to adults in a fantastic way. Your family dentist can do all of your Invisalign treatment right in their office–no need for separate orthodontic visits. Invisalign clear aligners straighten your teeth without braces. Your dentist takes a virtual scan of your teeth and creates a series of progressive molds. You wear each mold for around two weeks as your teeth gradually shift into their new position.
- Dental Implants are an increasingly popular way to replace missing teeth or teeth that are beyond repair. An implant is an artificial tooth that attaches to your jawbone with a titanium “root.” The root, or post, connects to a natural-looking crown that matches the color of your natural teeth. With special training, your family dentist can perform implant surgery.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Smile Makeover?
Your dentist will work closely with you to create a timeline for your treatment plan, considering the time required for various treatments. For example, bonding can often be done in just one or two visits, while it takes longer to fabricate and fit your veneers. Dental implants also involve a multi-visit process and may require support from an oral surgeon. Invisalign generally takes between six months and a year. A smile makeover is a multi-step process with dramatic improvement, progressing as we move through the process.
How Long Do The Results of a Smile Makeover Last?
Just as your dentist completes your smile makeover in steps, you may need to refresh some treatments more frequently than others. For example, implants can often last a lifetime, while bonding needs to be redone every 5 to 10 years. Veneers generally last 10 to 15 years, but you’ll want to return for in-office whitening once or twice a year. Whatever treatments you choose, taking excellent care of your teeth and gums is essential. Maintaining oral hygiene, brushing and flossing, and seeing your dentist for checkups will help keep cosmetic work in excellent shape.
Can My Family Dentist Give Me a Smile Makeover?
Family dentists are often also experts in cosmetic dentistry. Cosmetic procedures and smile makeovers are now an essential part of many practices. Working with your family dentist means working with a partner who knows your dental history. Your family dentist also focuses on your oral health in addition to aesthetics. At Greenhill Family Dental Care in Gainesville, Virginia, we believe it’s never too late to have the smile you have always wanted. Cosmetic dentistry isn’t just for models and movie stars anymore. Everyone deserves a great smile they can be proud of. Let’s start with a consultation to discuss your goals, timeline and budget so you’ll have even more reason to smile!